Covid 19 - Financial Support Available
Our no interest loans have been repurposed to support people who are financially impacted by Covid-19. We may be able to provide a loan for urgent financial relief such as bills and debts. Check out our Good Loans page to find contact details for your nearest community loan worker.
Money Talks is a free budgeting and financial mentoring service – free phone 0800 345 123 or website at moneytalks.org.nz (including support via online chat).
Wage subsidies are available to employers whose businesses have been affected by the virus. Information about the subsidies can be found on the Work and Income wage subsidy page.
If you have a temporary visa and find yourself unable to go home you may be able to receive support from Work and Income. Go to Support for temporary visa holders
For information about your employment rights go to Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the workplace » Employment New Zealand
A Covid-19 response is being led by Whānau Ora and updates can be found on the Covid-19 page of their website.
Sorted.org.nz is New Zealand’s financial capability website, and has regularly updated information about Covid-19.
The Commerce Commission has produced a ‘Credit Q & A for borrowers’ to answer all your questions if you are having difficulting repaying your loans.
The IRD may be able to offer advice for those struggling with student loan payments, child support payments, and income tax payments. You can find the IRD Covid-19 Individuals and families information here.
Things to think about
- Has your income or have your expenses changed (reduced or increased) ?
- Is your reduced income still enough to meet your essential costs if you budget carefully?
- Have you talked to your bank and/or your creditors about your situation and how you can manage your payments?
- Do you need extra help to meet your essential costs?
- Do you need to contact Work & Income to ask about (and apply for) the help they may be able to give you?