– Be able to afford the basics like rent, food, power and petrol
– Be up to date with their bills and debts
– Have a small amount leftover to make repayments
– Are looking for cash loans, or to pay family, or to go on holiday
– Are behind on their rent, power or other basics already
These budgets are simplified to show the need for capacity to repay. Loan applications will include all liabilities and consider all spending from the previous three months.
We may be able to help people who:
– Have high-cost debt that has become unmanageable
– Are ready to voluntarily commit to working with a coach to get on top of their financial challenges
We have a service dedicated to supporting people to address economic and financial abuse, as a form of family violence. This is a small service that is oversubscribed, and most referrals usually come through family violence services. Family violence agencies are best placed to assess safety first before we begin providing financial support.
Our service can help:
When someone contacts us, we have a brief conversation to outline how the process works and ensure people are eligible (income, residential).
We begin the application process by gathering documents that can provide evidence of someone’s financial situation.
We do this to meet Responsible Lending guidelines and to make sure repaying a loan is within someone’s capacity.
The completed application is then assessed by our lending assessment team to make sure repaying a loan is realistic and appropriate. If the loan is approved, we pay the supplier of the item directly.
To explain this process to clients we have created the page ‘What to expect’. We use this information to summarise their budget, and ask them about the one-off or irregular income and expenses, to make sure we are covering everything. Most people provide their statements electronically using CreditSense.
We can help citizens, residents, and people on work and student visas. Our clients must earn within the current income thresholds for people we can help.
Essential items and services like: